Thursday, 8 March 2012

Meet LOLA!!!! My day in pictures.

Hi everyone,

Well I've made it to the other side!!! I am officially banded!

I would like to introduce you to Lola... She's a tight little minx, 10cc's of total kick ass!!!

So this is how my day went. The kids got off to school with no problems (they were very good - hubby was stressed out) I drove us to the clinic. My sister called to wish me good luck and the proceeded to tell me about all her problems until I cut her off and told her that I would love to help but it was a pretty big day for me and I couldn't deal with her stuff too. She did not get upset so I guess surgery trumps babysitter raising her prices. I was actually enjoying her rant as it took my mind off of the surgery but after 40 minutes I couldn't listen to her any more.

So I was pretty calm when we arrived at SWLC at 9:20am

Then I was greeted by my co-ordinator Kim, and she took me upstairs weighed me...

and then have me the biggest hospital gown I ever saw in blue which is a good colour for me. LOL

Then I waited and then met my recovery room nurse and then the bitchy nurse that I was warned about and then the other bitchy nurse that I wasn't warned about. Then my Dr. came in said hi - I checked that he wasn't looking too tired or shaky - he seemed fine and then I meet recovery nurse # 2 and the anesthesiologist - he was nice - looked happy - talked slowly - he seemed good and he listened to me when I spoke which is always a bonus. Then they wrapped me up in a heated blanket and then I waited.
Here's me waiting under my warm blankie...

I didnt wait to long - my surgery time was 10:20am - it was around then when they took me in and I was out in seconds - good IV didn't hurt at all - another awesome bonus.

Then later I woke up to someone screaming. It wasn't me. It was the tummy tuck lady in the bed across from me. She went on and on - makes me rethink the whole thing - maybe I'll just invest in some Spanx. I was so groggy - I hate the valium they gave me - I was there but not there - in and out of sleep. I couldn't track with my vision. I didnt feel sick or in pain I just wanted water my mouth was so dry. They finally gave me water and the Gas X strips - which tasted great after 2 weeks of shakes and veggies. I was a bit disappointed that after spending $16,000.00 they didn't have bottled or filtered water or even ice. They just gave me plan old tap water... I must mention that to them later.

Here I am in recovery with my warmish tap water...

After the water they let me sit up and go pee. The Dr. came in and told me my liver was really large and he figures it was probably even bigger before the post op but he put the band in anyway and the liver would shrink as I lost more weight. OK good news.

Yesterday was a beautiful spring day great weather +16C when we left (thats 61F my U.S. friends) we drove home with the windows down and the fresh air helped ALOT. We got home by 2:30pm

So when I got home I found out that the pain meds they gave me I couldn't crush - so I was stuck with children's melt away Tylenol in tutti fruitti flavour - 5 at a time - yuck, the Gas X and ice which was way better than the water at this point. It hurt to bend over and I couldn't sleep in my bed so we made a bed on the couch and I sleep sitting up... here's me in the couch/bed...

I think I'll be on my couch bed for a while yet. My kids were great. The little one made me a get well card at my amazing and wonderfully helpful neighbours house and then came home and wanted to see the scars so I showed him - he seem to feel better after seeing them. Here they are below - more on the left side because of the big liver. I get to take the gauze off today and take a shower. I can't wait to take a shower.

So all in all it has been a positive experience. Im a bit more sore today than yesterday and my left shoulder hurts a bit more and I have been having hubby burp me and rub my shoulders. I think this won't be too hard of a road. 

Tonight I get to have broth - wooo hooo!!! It will be soooo tasty. I'm actually feeling a bit hungry now. I can't wait till tomorrow I can move onto full fluids - a glass of milk and soup mmmmm..... maybe some thinned out cream of wheat - ahhh something that actually resembles food. It seems that they are moving me along quite quickly and I should be trying to eat solids by March 30th???  I will keep you posted as I go along. 

I want to thank all of you so much for sending me well wishes. They helped alot and I hope my other March 7th banded sister Stephanee did great too. Check out her blog. We both need lots of good comments and advice from all you pro's.

I'll leave you with one last picture of me getting ready to write this post.

Until later xx


  1. So exciting! And you seem to have done so well. Can't wait to read more as you get used to the changes. It will help me so much when I get to join you!

  2. It sounds like everything went great. I am glad to hear it!

  3. So appy to ear you had a good experience! Let the weigh loss begin!

  4. Congratulations! Welcome to the other side. Sending lots of good healing thoughts your way. :)

  5. Hello LOLA! :)

    Welcome to the loser bench

  6. Congrats!!! Lola, nice to meet you!!! BE kind to your owner!

  7. Glad to see you are doing so well :o) and welcome LOLA!

  8. Sounds like you're doing really well. Congratulations.. and welcome to the other side!


  9. Yayyyyy! I'm home, but I'm on my way out again...we will chat in depth tomorrow! I'm so glad you're doing well, and look at you! So together and gorgeous! I'm super impressed! Told ya so!!!

  10. I am so happy and excited for you!! I am glad you are doing so well!! You are a trooper, I had a much rougher 2 days but you look fantastic :) You are officially a BAD BANDED BITCH! :) WOO HOO

  11. You look sooo great in all the pics...I'm so glad you are doing well. Onward!

  12. I'm so impressed...up and blogging within the day! You are going to do wonderfully!!! Welcome to bandland!

  13. Welcome to the other side! Just a quick note about the pain meds...if you still need them..I was given pain PILLS and was able to take them without a problem. I know some docs prescribe liquids meds and stuff but mine didn't and I was able to swallow them fine. Glad you're doing well!

  14. Welcome to the other side! You look great!

  15. Awww! I love the pics!! I am so so happy for you. Thank you so much for taking us through the journey I felt like I was there!! I am so excited for the future that is coming your way!

  16. Congratulations, girl!!! You look fabulous! I'm so glad the process went easy for you and I'm excited that we can walk this journey together! :)


please... share...